Sunday, April 14, 2013

Omega 8006 Juicer made a cracking noise....

One day, a couple months or so ago, my nice expensive (but well worth the price) Omega 8006 Juicer made a sickening cracking noise...
I was afraid to take apart the juicing parts to see what I might find broken...
Luckily! Nothing had broken!  However, the auger looked like it had been stripped a bit on the hard plastic part (not the metal part that attaches to the machine turning mechanisms).  Still workable though!
I decided that I did not want my nice Omega Juicer breaking anytime soon and that I should be more careful how I used it... 
I had been putting the first round of vegetable pulp back into the juicer to be juiced a second time...
While at Hippocrates Health Institute in the wheatgrass juice bar, I had heard someone say that they put the pulp back into their juicer to get more juice out (and save money obviously...).
This seemed like a good idea to me...  So, when I returned home and started juicing, I also started putting vegetable pulp back into the juicer for what I thought would be the utmost in efficiency of juicing vegetables!
However, after the machine bogged down and made the sickening cracking noise...  I have since stopped putting vegetable pulp into the juicer for further juicing.  I figure it's not worth breaking the machine for a little extra juice from the pulp.
Since I stopped juicing vegetable pulp, my machine has been happily juicing away.  I'm also more careful about how much and size of vegetable junks I put into the machine.
The other thing the day of the sickening cracking noise made me realize was that, if I broke one of the parts, I wouldn't be able to juice until new parts arrived.  Never mind the cost if I broke the machine itself (beyond the exterior juicing parts)! 
That day I decided it would be a good idea to have a second set of parts....
Two plus months later, I finally ordered them!
I looked on www.amazon.com to see if I could find the parts for less than direct ordering from Omega but, I didn't find them.  I admit, I didn't look too far beyond that.  I decided to order directly through http://www.omegajuicers.com/
I ordered the following:
ItemSkuQtySubtotal
Drum Clear (8003/8004/8005/8006) PDRM821$24.00
Plunger (8003/8004/8005/8006) PPLUNG8351$6.00
Auger Black (8004/8006) PSCREW8461$60.00
Cleaning Brush Masticating Juicers PBRUSH82354$16.00
Drum Cap Black (8006) PDRUMCAP861$12.00
Juicing Screen (8003/8004/8005/8006) PSCRN835P1$26.00
Straining Sieve (8003/8004/8005/8006) PSIEVE82351$9.00
Juice Bowl (8004/8006) PBWLP846J1$8.00
Subtotal $161.00
Shipping & Handling $5.95
Grand Total (Excl.Tax) $166.95
Tax $9.66
Grand Total (Incl.Tax) $176.61
Omega 8006 parts - pulp bowl, juice bowl, straining sieve, plunger,
hopper, juicing screen, auger, drum cap, cleaning brush, drum
Obviously, the parts add up.  You don't necessarily need to get all of the above for a second set.  In my humble opinion, the most important items for a second set are the drum, auger, juicing screen, and maybe an extra straining sieve.  I also ordered a handful of the cleaning brushes since these do start to fizzle out when washing the juicer parts every day.
Perhaps ordering a second set may seem like a silly financial thing to do... after all, any part can be ordered for overnight delivery.
However, the other fantastic thing about having a second set of juicer parts is.....
I discovered, at least for me, that I don't have time to wash the juicer parts in the morning when I'm running around trying to get out the door; and then, when I get home, I don't feel like washing them before making a second round of juice for the afternoon.  This means that I normally don't end up doing the second round of juice, which is recommended by Hippocrates HI. 
I'm hoping that having a clean second set of juicing parts ready to go will help me follow through with afternoon juicing!!!!
In the scheme of things, the above cost is miniscule compared to doctor's bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment